Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Originals by Dave Gibbons

A graphic novel version of
Quadrophenia by the artist of Watchmen set in the future all in black and white, well written and illustrated but to my mind lacking a little in originality

AZ (DG): "I discovered Mod when I was about 15 and have a vivid memory of seeing my first scooters. They were fantastic, almost science-fiction machines, gleaming with chrome and accessories. They rolled up one night at my local dance-hall, the riders dismounting and undoing their military-surplus parkas to reveal smart shirts and jackets.

The opening scene of THE ORIGINALS tries to capture some of that feeling. I merged it with another real incident where I helped a bunch of scooter boys to find the local motorcycle gang and give them a good beating."




No comments:

Post a Comment