Wednesday 9 September 2009

The Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver (audio) (Lincoln Rhyme)

I always think of Lincoln Rhyme as Morgan Freeman, the paraplegic criminalist in Deaver's Kiss the Girls (I think!) and it works for me. I nearly gave up on this when I started listening to it as it seemed very formulaic, serial killer is leaving clocks with moon phase dials at the scene of his crimes and Rhyme is trying to figure it out, the killer is smart but can Rhyme outwit him. Dot dot dot blah blah blah. But then it starts to get really interestesting as the plot twists and turns and Deaver does a brilliant job of getting inside the heads of the characters, from a violent rapist via a florist to a female soldier home but enlisting to return to the desert front, the 'land of bitter fog'. Tightly plotted and well written, a pleasure to listen to while sewing away, really interesting meditations on the nature of truth telling and what we do to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment