Tuesday 9 November 2010

Seriously Good!  Gluten-Free Baking by Phil Vickery

I have just had two massive slices of Vickery's Apple Pudding Cake with Cider Topping from page 86 of this wonderful book.  Being gluten intolerant can be a chore but finally I have recipes for much missed beloved goodies such as flatbread, yorkshire pudding and the five recipes I've tried so far really do work and are wonderful.

I only have two issues.  Firstly, Vickery uses a food processor a lot, which is fine for those who can afford it but for those with only at most an electric mixer had mixing alternatives would help.

Secondly I had real problems making the wonderful tasting Bonfire Parkin with Ginger Icing because I, like many that I know of, am intolerant to the gluten in oats, for me it is my most pernicious ingredient.  I tried using quinoa to replace the oatmeal but it didn't really work, I may try polenta next time.  The book is called 'gluten free' so it should contain only gluten free ingredients.

But in general, this book is great, a little effort and you don't need to rely on the supermarket and health food shop gluten free aisles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment