Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins

This is one of the few times I have found myself completely in two minds about a book.  On the one hand what Dawkins does in this book is brilliant and I learned so much, he takes us step by step through the evidence for evolution, clarifying the concepts of DNA, fossil records, Darwin's theories of natural selection and countering the Creationist and Intelligent Design theories about the natural world.  But there were moments where I could happily have thrown the book, if it wasn't a library book!  Dawkins keeps going on about his other books, if you want to read more on this read my other book.  This is lazy scholarship, he should either leave it out altogether or put together an intelligent precis of his point.  And his attacks on Creationists smack of crowing and a peacock like pride in just how right he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment