Tuesday 3 July 2012

I freely admit, when it comes to a book I like closure, real life isn't like that so I like books to be like that. 

12 year old Adam Ryan is found standing in a clearing with his shoes full of blood. The police have been searching for him and his friends Peter and Jamie, they are never found. Adam has no memory of what happened to him or his companions.

Twenty years on Adam is now known as Rob and heading up a murder investigation. An archaeological dig is taking place on the site of the woods his friends disappeared in. A little girl's body has been found on a ritualistic stone table, her name is Katy and she was a star ballerina about to go to the Royal School of Ballet. As Rob and his DI partner Cassie investigate their progress is slow and difficult, but there is clearly something wrong at the heart of Katy's family. Rob's life begins to unravel in the presence of the place where so much unknown horror unfolded in his own life and the tension is ratcheted up and up.

I understood the reasons for Rob's constant reflections along the lines of 'this is how it all went wrong' but it irritated me, as did the lack of resolutions. I like neat ends in books, so sue me!

No comments:

Post a Comment